Working Class Foodies shows off the classic side of Thanksgiving with this Perfect Pumpkin Pie:
What you’ll need for the Perfect Pumpkin Pie crust:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled & cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-2 ice cubes
What you’ll need for the Perfect Pumpkin Pie filling:
- 3 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (fresh or pre-ground)
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves (or 2 whole cloves)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground star anise (or 1/2 pod of fresh star anise)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- Pie dish
How it’s done:
- Stir dry pie crust ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda) together.
- Add butter and mix by hand or in a food processor.
- Add ice water to the mix (or pulse in the food processor) until the dough begins to form.
- Take dough out of the bowl or processer and knead it gently.
- Cover ball of dough in plastic and let it rest in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- While the dough is in the fridge, add ground spices to the pumpkin puree & mix.
- Add 1 egg and brown sugar to the pumpkin puree & mix.
- Add milk (or cream) & mix.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Once your filling is done, take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out (~1/8 inch thick) on a floured work surface.
- Place dough in a pie dish and press along edges.
- Scoop filling into pie crust.
- For a shiny crust, rub the edges with an egg wash (1 yolk + 1 tablespoon milk/water).
- Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean).
- Cool for 15 minutes and enjoy!
What you’ll need to make the Pumpkin Whoopie Pie cookies (to make 8 pies)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon cloves
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cup chilled pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Greased or lined baking sheet
What you’ll need to make the Pumpkin Whoopie Pie filling:
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract ( or seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean)
- Zip-top bag
How it’s done
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (including spices) & whisk them together.
- In a 2nd large bowl, combine brown sugar and vegetable oil. Mix together.
- Add pumpkin puree to brown sugar mixture & stir together.
- Then add the egg and vanilla & mix together.
- Fold dry ingredients into brown sugar mixture. Stir gently until just combined.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons ~1 inch apart onto greased or lined baking sheet.
- Bake ~15 minutes or until the tops begin to crack.
- While the cookies are baking, combine powdered sugar, cream cheese & vanilla. Mix together until smooth & uniform.
- Once the cookies are out of the oven and cooled completely, add frosting to a zip-top bag and cut off the tip.
- Pipe the frosting onto the flat bottom of 1/2 of the cookies.
- Press cookies together to make sandwiches.
- Let them refrigerate for at least 30 minutes for serving.
Need even more pumpkin treats on your Thanksgiving dessert table? Try some Pumpkin Pie Pockets, or snack on a bowl of Pumpkin Pie Roasted Almonds.