Pumpkin Pie Pockets with Vanilla Glaze
Yum – need we say more? What a delicious idea for a fall party. Originally from Babble.com.
Vegan Cinnamon Pie Crust:
1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
1/4 cup vegan butter, diced
1 cup wheat flour
2/3 cup white flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
flour for rolling dough
Pumpkin Butter Filling:
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup vegan butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp lemon juice
1/3 cup soy creamer or coconut milk
1 cup powdered sugar
optional: pinch vanilla bean specks
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whip up your glaze with a beater and place in fridge so will be chilled by the time you serve.
- Add flour for pie crust to large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the salt, chopped butter and melted butter. Then slowly add in the cold water.
- Fold with spoon until thick – then add in a few sprinkles of flour and start kneading by hand in bowl until you get a nice fluffy rough. Add more water or flour if needed.
- Place dough in the freezer for about ten minutes while you do the pumpkin butter. The trick for fast chilling of dough is to have a sturdy steel or freezer-friendly glass platter or bowl already in the freezer so it chills quickly – add dough to that bowl.
- Add all the pumpkin butter ingredients to a small bowl.
- Microwave for 1 minute. Stir well. Set aside.
- Grab your dough from the freezer – it should be slightly chilled now. Roll out on a floured surface as thin as possible.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Cut out cookie cutters of your tarts. Place them floured side surface on the outside (up or down). Add about 1 -2 tsp of filling to each tart. Add a top layer tart cut out (roll out slightly for easier crimping. Then crimp the edges with a fork and poke a hole in center for venting. Continue until all dough is used. You may have leftover filling (or not).
- Optional: sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar on top
- Place in oven. Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes, then reduce to 350 and bake for an additional 12 minutes. Times may vary based on the thickness of your rolled out dough and size of your tarts. You can the edges to begin to brown while the center stays light and fluffy.
- Remove from oven. Cool on cooling rack.
- Pull glaze from fridge and swirl over top tarts. Serve warm (makes 7-10 pockets)
Looking for more Pumpkin Pie inspiration? Check out these Pumpkin Pie Roasted Almonds for a fun, festive snack everyone will love.