Apple Pie Cupcakes
Ok, we are getting out of control with the sweets this holiday season! But come on, look at these things. Really? Apple pie cupcakes? Who thinks this stuff up!
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2-3 tbsp. sugar
- 3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
Cinnamon buttercream frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 6 to 8 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Up to 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, sift cake flour, baking powder and salt.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well and scraping down the sides of bowl after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract; mix well to combine.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Stir until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly among cupcake liners, filling about 2/3-3/4 full.
- Bake until golden – about 18 to 22 minutes.
- Remove from oven; cool for 5 minutes in pans.
- Transfer to wire racks; cool completely.
- Heat butter in medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add cinnamon and sugar; cook for a minute, until mixture begins to bubble.
- Lower heat to medium; stir in the apples. Mix well.
- Cook until apples are somewhat tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- While apple mixture cools, use cone method to remove a chunk from center of each cupcake, leave a rim around the top of cupcake.
- Fill holes with cooled apple mixture.
- Beat butter in a stand mixer until smooth.
- Add 4-5 cups confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Beat until sugar disappears.
- Add more sugar, by 1/2 cups, until desired consistency is reached. (For a stiff buttercream, use close to the max- 7-8 cups).
- Beat in cinnamon.
Love the cupcakes but still looking for a classic apple pie recipe? Well, look no further. SpouseLink has one for you right here.