Apple Pie Recipe
Thanksgiving and Christmas are completely different holidays with different purposes and traditions, but there is one thing they both have in common. Apple pie is a desert that can be made for both holidays and one that many families look forward to. If your family doesn’t have a recipe that is handed down from generation to generation, why not start a new tradition with this apple pie recipe. Just be sure to include some post-Thanksgiving detox ingredients on your holiday grocery shopping list. You’ll thank us later!
Total Time: 20 minutes for preparation and 50 minutes for baking
Makes 8 servings
– ½ cup sugar
– ½ cup packed brown sugar
– 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
– ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 6 to 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– Pie crust pastry – 9-inches to match the pie plate
– 1 tablespoon butter
– 1 egg white
– Additional sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the sugars in a small bowl with the flour and spices, then set it aside. In a large bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice. Add the sugar mixture, then toss together to coat the apples.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with the bottom crust and trim any excess that hangs over the edges. Make sure the crust is even with the pie plate edges. Fill the crust with the apple mixture, then cut small bits of butter and dot the top of the mixture with the cut butter. Take the remaining pastry and roll it out to fit on top of the pie, then place it on top of the filling. Next, trim the excess and flute the edges. Cut slits in the pastry. Cutting the slits can be a great presentation. Try to be deliberate with the slits by cutting the center in a pattern.
- This step is to coat the top of the pie to create a golden brown color. Beat the egg white until it foams, then brush the egg over the pastry. Sprinkle the top with sugar. Cover the pie with tin foil loosely.
- Bake in a conventional oven at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove the tin foil and bake 20 minutes longer or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Let the pie cool before cutting.
Do you have a great recipe for the holidays? Leave a post or tell us your story. And if this doesn’t fully satisfy your apple pie craving, give these Apple Pie Cupcakes a try.