Okay, we are getting out of control with the sweets this holiday season! But come on, look at these things. Really? Apple pie cupcakes? Who thinks this stuff up!
- 1 pkg. yellow cake mix (regular)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3/4-cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
- 4 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and finely chopped
Cinnamon buttercream frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Thinly sliced apples, optional
- Prepare and bake according to package directions.
- Heat butter over medium heat.
- Add apples and brown sugar; cook and stir until apples are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Using a paring knife, cut a 1 cone-shaped piece from top of each cupcake; discard removed portion. Fill cavity with apple mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine all frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes.
- If desired, top with apple slices to serve.
Love the cupcakes but still looking for a classic apple pie recipe? Well, look no further. SpouseLink has one for you right here.