By Julie Provost
The holiday season has arrived, whether we are ready for it or not. This time of year always seems to sneak up on me. I feel like we go from lazy summer days to putting up our Christmas tree in just a few weeks. Time flies, but here we are, time to head into the most magical season there is.
There are so many different ways to celebrate, from cooking a big feast on Thanksgiving to decorating for the December holidays. Our family loves movies, and this time of year, we want to watch the ones with all the feels. While you may be used to adding classics such as It’s a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story to your list, here are 9 more that you can plan to watch together with your family this holiday season. Enjoy!
1) The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe came out in 2005, and is the tale of four siblings who travel through a wardrobe to the land of Narnia. You can find this one on Disney+.
2) One Magic Christmas was a favorite of mine for when I was a child. The movie is the story of a young mother who needs to find the Christmas magic through the help of an Angel. You can also find this one on Disney+.
3) The Polar Express is an exciting adventure based on the children’s book of the same name by Chris Van Allsburg. This computer-animated musical adventure goes perfectly with cups of hot, hot, hot chocolate. This one is available on HBO Max.
4) Little Women is another one of my favorites, either the 1994 version or 2019 one. Little Women is not exactly a Christmas movie, but I think it has all the elements of one. Based on the book by Louisa May Alcott, it’s the story of four sisters in the 1800s, and the trials and tribulations of their lives. You can find the 1994 version on Amazon and the 2019 one on Starz.
5) Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is a 1964 stop-motion animated television special. This one will bring back all the feels of your own childhoods. You will either have to catch this one on TV during the holiday season or buy the DVD.
6) Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey is a middle-grade musical about a once-joyful toymaker that finds new hope when his granddaughter comes into his life. I have heard the movie compared to the Greatest Showman. You can find this one on Netflix.
7) The Nutcracker and the Four Realms came out a few years ago. We have probably all seen a version of The Nutcracker before, and this one is an adventurous take. Clara is a young girl who meets a soldier, a group of mice, and takes a journey to another realm. You can find this one on Disney+.
8) A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving is perfect for November. Everyone watches A Charlie Brown Christmas, but don’t forget about this short from 1973. Perfect to get you into the holiday spirit. Catch this one on live TV.
9) Mickey’s Christmas Carol is a pure classic. There are so many options when it comes to watching The Christmas Carol, but this one is a favorite. I love how our favorite Disney characters fill the roles in Charles Dickens’ most famous tale. Find this one on Disney+.
Enjoy this holiday season with your family, and watch a fun movie together on those cold winter nights. Your kids will love it.
Julie Provost has been a Military Spouse for 15 years, is a freelance writer, and owner of the blog, Soldier’s Wife, Crazy Life. She lives near Fort Campbell with her National Guard husband and three boys. In her free time she loves to read all the books, watch movies, and spend time with family and friends. You can find her on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.