We recently tried this amazing recipe from Kraft. This is a fast and easy meal to prepare on a weeknight or when you want to impress guests without spending a lot of time running around the kitchen. We were a little afraid the Gorgonzola cheese would be too strong, but we added up to 8 oz. without overpowering the other flavors. Picky eaters won’t even notice you’ve got it in there! Feta or goat cheese would also work well as substitutes. If you want a richer, restaurant-style dish, try doubling the whipping cream. And if you prefer a softer asparagus, sauté it with the onion beforehand. Find other recipes and read reviews here.
What You’ll Need
- 2 cups penne pasta, uncooked
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ½ cup thin onion slices, separated into rings
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1-1/2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
- 2 cups cut-up grilled chicken (1-inch pieces)
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup diagonally cut asparagus spears (1-inch pieces)
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 4 tsp. minced fresh garlic
- 1 pkg. (4 oz.) Crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Cook pasta as directed on package, omitting salt.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in small skillet on medium heat. Add onions and sugar; cook and stir 2 to 3 min. or until onions are tender. Remove from heat.
- Drain pasta; place in large skillet. Add tomatoes; cook on medium heat 1 min., stirring occasionally. Add chicken, broth, asparagus, cream and garlic; mix well. Cook 5 min. or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Add onions, cheese and basil; cook 2 min. or until heated through, stirring occasionally.