The Game-Day excitement is underway! If you’re a big football fan… or even if it’s just an excuse to get your friends together, Honeysuckle Catering has the perfect recipe for game day!
What you’ll need
- 1 package of nitrate-free hot dogs
- 3/4 cup of yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 quart of vegetable oil (for frying)
- Extra all-purpose flour (for dusting)
How it’s done
- Pour the quart of vegetable oil to a medium saucepan and apply medium heat.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Whisk together.
- Then, add egg, buttermilk and oil. Whisk again to combine.
- Quarter the hotdogs. Coat each piece with an even layer of flour.
- Insert a lollipop stick or skewer into each hotdog piece.
- Dip each hotdog piece into the batter, making sure each piece is completely, and evenly, covered.
- Cook each corndog in the hot oil for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Let the excess oil drain onto a paper towel.
- Serve them with some ketchup, mustard or sauce of your choice!