A good mac and cheese recipe is something everyone needs in their back pocket. Creamy, dreamy, cheesy, this homemade baked mac and cheese from Stove Top Kisses turns into bubbly perfection in the oven.
What You’ll Need:
- 32 oz. chicken stock (or vegetable stock if you’re a not meat eater)
- 3-½ cups elbow pasta
- 8 cups of cheese (your choice: cheddar, gouda, gruyere, provolone, mozzarella)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1-½ cups heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- ¾-cup sour cream
- 8 oz. butter
- Paprika (to taste)
- Onion powder (optional, to taste)
- Garlic powder (optional, to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Bring a pot of water and the stock to a boil.
- Add elbow pasta and boil until al dente (about 7–8 minutes).
- Strain the pasta and place in a large mixing bowl. Add butter, sour cream, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Stir. Then, add in 3 cups of cheese, 1 cup at a time. Stir.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add your eggs, heavy cream, and milk. Whisk.
- Grease your pan of choice with butter and begin adding 1/3 of your macaroni mixture. Top with a layer of cheese and 1 cup of your custard mix. Continue layering your pan with macaroni mixture, cheese, and then 1 cup of the custard.
- Top the dish with one last layer of cheese and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake on 375°F for 45 minutes–1 hour.
This baked mac and cheese recipe is perfect for a comforting dinner or as a holiday side dish! Have you tried this recipe? Let us know and share any of you own comfort food recipes!