- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger $
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander $
- 4 1/2 cups peeled, 1-in. chunks pumpkin or other orange-fleshed squash (from a 2 1/2-lb. squash) $
- 4 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, plus slivered leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup salted roasted pumpkin seeds
- Make soup: Sauté onion and ginger in oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat until golden, 5 minutes. Add garlic and coriander and cook until softened, 1 minute, then add pumpkin, broth, salt, and pepper. Simmer, covered, until pumpkin is very tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Purée in batches in a blender until very smooth.
- Make pesto: Pound garlic, whole mint leaves, salt, and 1 tbsp. oil in a mortar into a coarse paste (or use a food processor). Add remaining oil and pumpkin seeds and pound until coarsely crushed.
- Drop small spoonfuls of pesto over bowls of soup, garnish with slivered mint, and serve remaining pesto on the side.
- Serves 4 to 5.