Hoppin’ John is a traditional New Years Day meal, eaten to bring good luck in the new year. This version by Delectable Planet
puts a healthy twist on this classic dish.
What you’ll need:
- 1-1/2 cups black eyed peas, cooked
- 1-1/2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
How it’s done
What are some of your favorite traditional New Years Day foods?
- Combine beans, rice, veggies and parsley in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix garlic, salt, lemon juice and olive oil together in a separate, small bowl using a whisk.
- Pour the lemon dressing over the beans and rice mixture. Toss gently to combine.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours and enjoy!