By Jessica Doty
& Guest Blogger
With summer right around the corner, many military families are preparing to PCS. For some, the move might be to a familiar place therefore eliminating any guess work on where to live or where to enroll your kids in school. For others, your move may include uncharted territory with lots of researching ahead. One of the biggest stressors many military families face during a move is trying to find the best school for their children.
Here is my A+ list to help you find your right fit:
- Reach out to trusted friends living in that area for their opinions on the top schools and daycare facilities. Don’t know anyone personally that’s living in your next duty station? Put feelers out with your military friends to see if they have connections and could make the introduction.
- Check reputable websites such as Niche.com where you can check several statistics such as a school district’s diversity ranking, athletic ranking, average ACT score, and graduation rate.
- Add yourself to a few local spouses Facebook pages to see what they like about the schools. Try and limit your time spent reading the negative feedback. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, so naturally you might find more attention surrounding a negative post or comment. But be sure to weigh all comments as personal opinions and not necessarily facts.
- Make a list of potential schools you’re interested in and contact their guidance counselors. Discuss classroom size, extracurricular activities, full-time or part-time school nurse, advanced classes, as well as remediation classes. You know your child’s needs the best, so make sure you ask the right questions to put your mind at ease.
- Are you looking to be involved in school projects? Reach out to the PTA president or board members to discuss their vision. These men and women have their fingers on the pulse of the school, so they’re a great resource to have your questions answered.
Wherever your next PCS move takes you, you and your children are sure to need a sense of tenacity and adventure. The possibilities will be endless!
Meet SpouseLink Ambassador Jessica
Jessica has represented us at Camp Lejeune, NC and Stuttgart, Germany. Connect with her for more insights about the area!