Spring has arrived and daily temperatures are on the rise! This amazing chicken salad by Woolworths is full of protein to help you build lean muscle for warmer weather attire, and has a light taste that’s perfect for picnics and packed lunches.
What you’ll need (to feed 8)
- 2 large roast chickens (from your local grocery store)
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large fresh lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
- 3 teaspoons caster sugar
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 heaping tablespoon butter, chopped
- 1 cup coarse sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup almond slivers
- 8 fresh spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
How it’s done
- Remove chicken meat from the bones. Discard the skin and pull the meat until it’s in small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, sugar, oregano and mustard. Whisk to combine. Remove 2 tablespoons of the mixture and set aside. Add the warm chicken to the bowl and stir to coat with dressing. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large, non-stick frying pan. Add bread crumbs and cook 1 minute. Add almonds and toss occasionally until breadcrumbs and almonds turn light brown. Move breadcrumb mixture to a large bowl. Add grated lemon rind, spring onions and parsley.
- 15 minutes before serving, remove chicken from the fridge, sprinkle with remaining dressing, cover with breadcrumbs and serve.