It’s one of the most craved foods on the planet. It’s one of the most versatile foods on the planet. It’s actually easy to…make?! Resist the urge to call in another pizza for delivery. Grab the kids and your family’s favorite toppings and get cooking! Pizza is a comfort food that can be a fun activity to undertake with the kiddos, an opportunity to add some veggies and extra nutrients into your family’s diet and the shapes you can create with pizza dough are basically limitless! CHOW chef Lisa Lavery shows us how easy pizza really is to make!
What you’ll need
- 1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Extra olive oil to coat dough
- 14-ounce can of whole or diced tomatoes
- 1 lb. mozzarella cheese
How it’s done
- Pour honey and warm water into a mixing bowl. Give them a quick whisk to combine. Then, add the yeast.
- Let the yeast sit, untouched for about 10 minutes until a foam forms over the water mixture.
- Add all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, olive oil and salt. Mix with an electric mixer on a low setting until the dough just begins to form. Then increase the speed for about 5 minutes until the dough becomes elastic and easy to roll into a ball.
- Coat the dough in olive oil, place it in a bowl, cover, and allow it to rest and rise for about one hour, or until it has doubled in size.
- On a lightly oiled surface, cut the dough into 2 portions, roll each into a ball, cover in plastic wrap and allow them to rest another 2o minutes.
- While the dough is resting, grate the cheese, and if you want to make your own sauce, blend a can of tomatoes until smooth.
- On a cookie sheet, flatten the dough, using your fingers to work the dough towards the outside of the pan.
- Add 1/2 of the blended tomatoes and spread to cover the dough. Sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese over each pizza.
- Add any other toppings you want! Onions, peppers, broccoli, pepperoni, olives, chicken and different cheeses are always tasty choices.
- Bake at 525 degrees Fahrenheit on the bottom rack of the oven for 12-15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and makes your mouth water!