Cutting calories isn’t too hard with a little inspiration.
Here are 5 healthy eating tips to encourage a healthy lifestyle:
- Have a piece of fruit instead of a glass of juice. You’ll still satisfy the craving for something sweet without all the added sugar.
- Try turkey bacon and sausage in place of the pork versions. Turkey is a much leaner meat. You can save nearly 100 calories by eating 2 turkey sausages rather than pork sausages. Additionally, the turkey version has less salt, less cholesterol and less fat overall.
- Steer clear from cream-based soups. Instead, look for broth-based, low-sodium options. The best option is to make your own soups. This way, you know exactly what goes into your meal. Slow cookers are another great soup-making tool, requiring little time and effort, and the smell will warm up the whole house.
- Salad’s are a great calorie cutting option, unless you load them down with fatty dressings. While low-fat, low-calorie options are an improvement, olive oil and vinegar is one of the best ways to keep that salad healthy. Not only does this option provide a high level of flavor, olive oil also has many health benefits of it’s own.
- In the mood for something sweet? Ice cream? No!….a milk shake? Why not make a smoothie? You will save at least 100 calories if you make the smoothie with skim milk. You can even add a taste of chocolate to quench the craving.
In fact, we’ve come up with this delicious smoothie recipe for 2:
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 cup of fresh strawberries (or partially thawed frozen strawberries)
- 2 fresh peaches (or partially thawed frozen peaches)
- 1/4 cup of fresh blueberries (or partially thawed frozen blueberries)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup low-fat or fat-free milk
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
Do you have any healthy eating tips or recipes you’d like to share with us?