5 DIY Decorations for Your Next Patriotic Party
Memorial Day is on its way and the party planning has begun, but is your home ready to host a patriotic bash? We took to the SpouseLink Pinterest page and rounded up our 5 favorite DIY decorations in every shade of red, white, and blue.
What You Need: Patterned Cardstock | Scissors | Sewing machine and thread
- Cut two sizes of stars out of the patterned cardstock. Layer them in twos with the larger star on the bottom and the smaller star on top.
- Stitch the stars together down the center using your sewing machine. Pull each set of stars a bit after sewing so you have some thread between each set of stars.
- Once they are all sewn together, slightly “fluff” the top star to make it appear 3D.
What You Need: Red, white, and blue fabric | White paint | A potato | Large stick or pole | Scissors |
- Cut your red and white fabric into long skinny strips (7 red, 6 white).
- Tie the strips to a large stick or pole, alternating red and white.
- Cut a square out of the blue fabric.
- Make a potato stamp for the stars by cutting a potato in half then cutting a star shape into the potato. Dip the stamp in paint, then stamp the star onto the blue fabric
- Tie two corners of the blue fabric onto the stick.
3. American Flag Jar Votive Holder
Image seen on Pinterest
What You Need: Glass jar | Small American flag | Mod Podge | Foam paint brush | Scissors | Twine | Sand | Votive candles
- Cut the flag off of its stick
- Paint a thin layer of mod podge onto the outside of the glass jar where you want to flag to be. Stick the flag onto jar and paint another thin layer of mod podge over it. Let dry.
- Tie the twine around the top of the jar, the pour some sand into the bottom of the jar and place the votive inside.
What You Need: Scissors | Construction marking spray paint | Large piece of cardboard
- Cut a large star out of the cardboard.
- Place the star stencil on the lawn and spray over it with the construction paint.
What you Need: Red and white striped dish towel | Gallon-size zip-seal bag | Scissors | Stapler | Blue flowers
- Fold towel in half over zip-seal bag. Cut the towel 1/8-inch larger than the bag and staple the towel together along the sides.
- Add water and flowers to the zip-seal bag and hang.
More Ways to Show Your Patriotism:
Solutions for Your Military Family:
Life Insurance, Wealth Management, Mortgages, Survivor Services, and more.